Town of Eston Bylaw 03-2011 outlines the requirements for having pets in the community. Key aspects include:
- All dogs, cats and dangerous animals must be licensed. A license can be purchased for a one-time fee of $5 at the Town Office.
- No dog or cat may run at large in Town.
- No person shall own or harbour an animal which creates a disturbance to the annoyance or discomfort of another person.
- All defecation that occurs on public or private property must be removed immediately.
The Town contracts a Bylaw Enforcement Officer who follows up on all complaints received. Should no resolution to bylaw violations be found, fines ranging from $50 to $300 may be issued. Fees for items such as impoundment and pickup may also apply.
A list of prohibited animals is available at the Town Office.
Restricted animals require application to and approval of Town Council before being permitted in the community. Upon approval of Council, a license would be issued. An annual licensing fee of $100 must be paid for all restricted animals.
Restricted animals include:
- Pit Bull Terrier
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Pit Bull
- Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Doberman Pinscher
- Wolf Hound
- Wolf Cross
- Coyote Cross
- Any dog, cat or dangerous animal of mixed breeding which includes any of the aforementioned breeds