Town of Eston Bylaw 03-2011 outlines the requirements for having pets in the community. Key aspects include:
- All dogs, cats and dangerous animals must be licensed. A license can be purchased for a one-time fee of $5 at the Town Office.
- No dog or cat may run at large in Town.
- No person shall own or harbour an animal which creates a disturbance to the annoyance or discomfort of another person.
- All defecation that occurs on public or private property must be removed immediately.
The Town contracts a Bylaw Enforcement Officer who follows up on all complaints received. Should no resolution to bylaw violations be found, fines ranging from $50 to $300 may be issued. Fees for items such as impoundment and pickup may also apply.
A list of prohibited animals is available at the Town Office.
Restricted animals require an application to, and approval from, Town Council before being permitted in the community. Upon approval from Council, a license would be issued. An annual licensing fee of $100 must be paid for all restricted animals.
Restricted animals include:
- Pit Bull Terrier
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Pit Bull
- Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Doberman Pinscher
- Wolf Hound
- Wolf Cross
- Coyote Cross
- Any dog, cat or dangerous animal of mixed breeding which includes any of the aforementioned breeds